Resources for Potential Changes in 2020-2021
In early January, Superintendent Deborah Gist submitted her recommendation to the Board of Education to move the 6th grades in the Central High School neighborhood to Central Junior High School to create a 6th-8th grade middle school effective in the 2020-2021 school year. At our regular meeting on Tuesday, Jan. 21, the Board voted to approve this recommendation.
This change in grade configuration for Academy Central would leave the school with just one grade level. Given that possibility, Superintendent Deborah Gist also submitted a recommendation to our Board to expand our partnership with Greenwood Leadership Academy to serve students currently enrolled at Academy Central who will enter 4th and 5th grade with in the 2020-2021 school year. This recommendation was also approved by our Board last night.
As a result of these Board decisions, students currently enrolled at Academy Central will experience the following changes in the 2021-2022 school year:
● Current 5th grade students will attend 6th grade at the expanded Central Middle School; and
● Current 3rd and 4th grade students will attend 4th and 5th grades at Greenwood Leadership Academy.
The teams at both Greenwood and Central are looking forward to welcoming your child to their new school community in the 2020-2021 school year. These schools will hold new family open houses in the early spring - look for those invitations soon!
If you are interested in considering other school options in our district, we will be providing additional enrollment support for any families affected by school closures, consolidations, and grade configuration changes on the following dates:
● Sat., Jan 25 from 10am-2pm: Enrollment Center (2819 S. New Haven Ave.)
● Mon., Jan. 27 from 7am-7pm: Grimes Elementary School (3213 E. 56th St.)
● Tues., Jan. 28 from 7am-7pm: Jones Elementary School (1515 S. 71st E. Ave.)
● Wed., Jan. 29 from 7am-7pm: Wright Elementary School (1110 E. 45th Pl.)
● Thurs., Jan. 30 from 7am-7pm: Mark Twain Elementary School (541 S. 43rd W. Ave.)
Parent Meeting Presentation
January - March
- Meetings with teachers and staff potentially affected by closures and consolidations
- Meetings with families potentially affected by closures and consolidations
March - June
- District and school teams plan for and begin implementation
- Changes would take effect
- How do we support our families and teams during closures and consolidations?
- What happens when Tulsa Public schools are closed or consolidated?
- What will happen to the teachers at Academy Central?
- What if I want to send my child to another school instead of Greenwood leadership academy?
- My child is on transfer. Will he or she be able to attend Greenwood leadership academy?
- Will my child be eligible for transportation?